Error : The disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection or use another drive
There are many reasons that cause this problem, let’s see solutions…
Method 1: Check for a Physical SwitchSome USB drives and Memory cards have a physical locking switch that allows you to lock drive and prevent any changes. Examine the USB drive or Memory card closely. If you can find the switch, switch it to the other side to turn the protection off.
Method 2: Scan with Updated AntivirusThe problem can also be caused by some virus activity, so just get it scanned by some updated good antivirus software which may solve your problem. If you don’t have an updated antivirus, Use free Kaspersky virus removal tool.
Also Read : Top 5 free antivirus software’s for windows
Method 3: Check Security Permissions
- Right click the USB drive and select properties in the explorer windows.
- In the properties window, select the security tab.
- Select the ‘user’ under user name and click on ‘Edit’.
- Check if you have Write permissions. If you don’t, check the option “Full” for full permissions or “Write” for write permissions
- Open Start Menu
- Run, type regedit and press Enter, this will open the registry editor.
- Navigate to the following path:
P.S. If you can’t find the key StorageDevicePolicies , go to step 6.
- Double click the key Write Protect in the right pane and set the value to 0 In the Value Data Box and press OK button
- Exit Registry and reboot your pc
If you can’t find the key StorageDevicePolicies in step (3) you have to create it manually.
- Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control\ and select New -> Key.
- Enter the name StorageDevicePolicies.
- Click on the new registry key StorageDevicePolicies and on the right pan right-click, select New > DWORDand give it the name WriteProtect.
- Double click on it and set its value to 0.
- Restart your system and check it.
- Start > search bar -> CMD and press enter
- Type< diskpart
- Type< list disk
- Type< select disk # (# is the number of the USB DRIVE you’ve plugged in )
- Type< attributes disk clear readonly
- Type “exit” to exit the diskpart
For that :
- Run diskmgmt.msc in Run.
- In the disk management window, select the pen drive, right click on it and click on Format.
- Click OK. That’s all